The New York City Anti-Violence Project (AVP) is seeking a Major Gifts Manager to join its 3-person Development team. The Major Gifts Manager will work closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to identify and cultivate donors and make major solicitations. This position reports to the Director of Development. This is an exciting time to have a voice in developing strategic fundraising plans for the next three years for a respected organization that is building upon a significant track record of success.
AVP is the largest LGBTQ anti-violence organization in the country. AVP is deeply trusted within LGBTQ communities and by survivors of violence. AVP envisions a world in which all lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (LGBTQ), and HIV-affected people are safe, respected, and live free from violence. AVP’s mission is to empower lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and HIV-affected communities and allies to end all forms of violence through organizing and education, and support survivors through counseling and advocacy.
The Major Gifts Manager is a key member of the Development Department and will lead major individual donor cultivation and stewardship efforts, including moves management, prospecting and managing a portfolio of major donors. The Major Gifts Manager works with key stakeholders like the Board of Directors to develop and implement individual fundraising plans, and provide vision and strategy for individual giving including major donor cultivation, fundraising events and other cultivation activities and appeals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Major Donor Cultivation and Relationship Management
● Manage portfolio of major individual donors ($5,000 – $100,000). Identify gift opportunities that match individual donor interests and capacity; and personally cultivate, solicit gifts and continually steward major gift donors;
● Prepare briefings, donor profiles, and write proposals for major donor meetings;
● Leverage board members in service of funding opportunities and support board engagement in collaboration with Director of Development and Executive Director;
● Develop and manage individual giving plans.
Fundraising Strategy Development and Implementation
● Design and develop organizational fundraising plans and strategies in collaboration with Director of Development, Executive Director and Board Development Committee;
● Lead vision and strategy for major donor events (including annual gala and other benefits and cultivation events), in partnership with Development Director;
● Manage annual major donor solicitations, fundraising and donor engagement events, and giving campaigns;
● Write persuasive appeals and updates for major donors, in collaboration with other staff;
● Generate timely reports on progress and status of major donor gifts and prospects;
● Support the Development Coordinator in maintaining up-to-date records on major donors and prospects.
Skills, knowledge, and abilities:
● Excellent organization, time-management, multi-tasking, attention to detail, research and analytical skills;
● Strong writing, interpersonal and verbal communication skills;
● Knowledge of relevant fundraising systems, including databases and donor prospecting software;
● Ability to engage diverse constituencies including AVP staff, board members, and supporters;
● Proactive self-starter with ability to work independently and to problem-solve in a fast-paced environment;
● Open to flexible hours for fundraising events, including some evenings;
● Strong alignment with AVP’s mission to works to empower LGBTQ and HIV-affected communities and allies to end all forms of violence through organizing, education, counseling and advocacy;
● History of building collaborative working relationships that are dependent upon mutual trust and confidence, integrity, discretion, and good judgment;
● Adaptable and flexible.
● Minimum five years of fundraising experience;
● Demonstrated ability to establish long-term relationships with donors and prospects;
● Track record of creating and implementing fundraising strategy and donor cultivation plans;
● Demonstrated success in prospect management and donor stewardship, including all phases of cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding gifts ($5,000 – $25,000+) from individuals;
● Experience conceptualizing and coordinating donor events;
● Experience working with donor database software, preferably Raiser’s Edge;
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Outlook.
● Experience soliciting gifts from corporations and foundations;
● Knowledge of New York philanthropy trends, and major donor and LGBTQ funding landscape.
AVP’s benefits include health and dental; 403b retirement plan; 15 vacation days (20 after one year), 4 personal days, and 12 federal holidays. Friendly work environment.
To apply: Submit resume, cover letter, and a short writing sample (1-2 pages) to email@example.com with “major Gifts Manager” in the subject line. Candidates will be notified if we are seeking an interview; because of high volume of responses it may not be possible to respond to all inquiries. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and those received after August 3, 2017 may not be considered.
AVP is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals and endeavors to hire individuals of diverse races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities or expressions, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, national origins, disabilities, and citizen, marital, veteran and HIV statuses. AVP encourages candidates with a demonstrated commitment anti-oppression work, and to working to end violence within and against LGBTQ and HIV-affected communities, to apply.