The New York City Anti-Violence Project (AVP) is seeking an experienced and creative organizer, strategist and leader to be its Senior Manager of Organizing and Advocacy, to lead and grow AVP’s local organizing, education and policy advocacy work.
AVP envisions a world in which all lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (LGBTQ), and HIV-affected people are safe, respected, and live free from violence. AVP’s mission is to empower LGBTQ and HIV-affected communities and allies to end all forms of violence through organizing and education, and support survivors through counseling and advocacy.
The Senior Manager of Organizing and Advocacy is part of the leadership of the Community Organizing and Public Advocacy Department and spearheads the work to develop, implement, oversee, document and evaluate all local and statewide organizing and advocacy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Oversee Programs and Campaigns with clear and measurable impact to change policies, practices and attitudes, and establish replicable models for anti-violence work.
- Develop and ensure the implementation of innovative local and statewide organizing, educational and public advocacy programs and campaigns.
- Oversee the development and coordination AVP’s leadership development programs.
- Develop and maintain mechanisms for program reporting, documentation, evaluation and dissemination of replicable program designs and models.
- Develop and implement strategies to respond to local incidents of violence.
- Coordinate the New York State LGBTQ Intimate Partner Violence Network, including co-development and co-coordination of regional training summits.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key partners and policy makers.
- Oversee the development of brochures, toolkits, flyers and other written materials.
Provide Visionary Leadership to shape the department’s work.
- Help ensure strategic visioning for the department.
- Shape and adapt AVP’s organizing philosophy and strategies to match community needs and current social and political climate.
- Serve as a spokesperson for AVP in a range of settings and with diverse audiences.
- Work collaboratively with other departments to ensure communication and cooperation.
- Participate in AVP’s staff led Anti-Oppression Process..
Manage Staff Team to inspire creativity and excellence and support professional development.
- Build a cohesive organizing team (currently 3 positions).
- Hire, supervise, support, coach and evaluate Lead Organizer and Program Associate and ensure the hiring, supervision, coaching and support of Organizer and Interns.
Oversee Administrative Systems to ensure smooth and consistent operation of department:
- Help oversee department operations in collaboration with the Director of COPA and the Senior Manager of National Policy and Research.
- Help oversee the management of grant contracts and funder relationships
- Oversee the preparation and management of budgets and reports for the department.
- Minimum three years of experience developing and leading organizing, policy advocacy and/or educational campaigns and coordinating coalitions on a local and/or national level including supervising organizing staff.
- Minimum five years of varied organizing experience.
- Expertise in curricula development and training and meeting facilitation required.
- Experience working with LGBTQ and HIV-affected communities and other marginalized communities and commitment to working to end violence required.
- Ability to work collectively and independently, a sense of humor and commitment to a healthy work-life balance required.
- Excellent oral and written communication and experience public speaking required.
- Demonstrated experience integrating anti-racism, anti-oppression and intersectional values and principles into the daily practice of social justice work required.
- Experience working closely with survivors of trauma, and commitment to creating and sustaining a trauma-informed environment preferred.
- Ability to build relationships, work well in diverse settings and with a myriad of constituencies and communities needed.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills needed.
- Knowledge of local, and state legislative processes preferred.
- Position requires significant night and weekend work and some travel.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
Salary DOE. Good benefits packet. Excellent work environment.
Submit resume, cover letter including salary requirement, and writing sample (1-5 pages) to email@example.com with “Senior Manager of Organizing and Advocacy” in subject line by January 15, 2018. We will notify candidates selected for an interview. We will not be able to respond to all inquiries. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis. No calls, please.
AVP is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals and endeavors to hire individuals of diverse races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities or expressions, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, national origins, disabilities, and citizen, marital, veteran and HIV statuses.