President Trump has begun to carry out many of his troubling campaign promises that threaten the safety, security, and rights of LGBTQ people and many others in this country. Now, more than ever, we need to stay informed and take action. AVP is launching the AVP Action Brief, which will track actions of this administration that impact our communities’ safety and rights and offer concrete steps that we can take to stand up for safety and justice. We are here for you and we are in this together.
No Ban No Wall
Yesterday, President Trump signed two anti-immigrant executive orders. The orders call for the building of a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, and to cut federal funding to “sanctuary” cities, which are cities, like New York, where police cooperation with federal immigration agents has been intentionally reduced. Today, Trump is expected to sign executive orders to block visas for people entering the U.S. from Syria, Libya, Iraq, Iran, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen. A travel ban like the one suggested by this executive order will only serve to foster Islamophobia and contribute to hate violence. Many LGBTQ refugees seek asylum in the U.S., and Trump’s attack on sanctuary cities directly threatens our immigrant communities, particularly our LGBTQ Latinx and Muslim community members. AVP’s counselors and legal team often work with immigrants, and are here to support those seeking help.
Trump’s nominee for Attorney General, Jeff Sessions, has a track record of taking actions that would roll back protections for or even endanger LGBTQ people. The Attorney General is responsible for upholding civil rights laws and protecting the most vulnerable in our nation, and we can’t trust Sessions to do this job. AVP joined 437 civil rights groups, including immigrant rights and LGBTQ organizations, have already spoken out against Sessions’ appointment. Earlier this week, the Senate decided to delay the Sessions confirmation vote, postponing it until next Tuesday: Now we have the opportunity to prevent his confirmation.
Here’s what you can do.
- Report LGBTQ or HIV-related violence that you experience or witness online or to AVP’s 24-hour English/Spanish hotline at (212) 714-1141.
- Call your senator at (877) 959-6082 and tell them not to confirm Jeff Sessions as Attorney General. Tweet at your senator using the hashtag #StopSessions.
- Attend and share info about our free LGBTQ Legal Clinics focused on immigration, ID and document change and more.
- Attend AVP’s Brooklyn Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Forum to address the needs of TGNC New Yorkers focused on immigration, employment, policing and more.
- Forward this email to a friend. Ask them to sign up for the AVP Action Brief to stay informed and activated, too.
The Hill: Trump signs orders on border wall, immigration enforcement
Reuters: Trump expected to order temporary ban on refugees
New York Times: Trump to Order Mexican Border Wall and Curtail Immigration
Politico: De Blasio threatens suit over Trump’s sanctuary cities order